« Home | Lord of... » | Today » | London at Dawn » | My Office Mates » | Hello London » | First Trip to the Grocery Store » | Picking Up Where I Left Off » | That Could've Hurt » | Such Profanity! » | I Need A Job » 

Sunday, October 17, 2004 

Artsy

As I realized a few days ago that I hadn't been to a single museum or art show in the entire month that I've been here, I over-indulged this weekend. I spent all of yesterday at the National Gallery and then just got back today from Tate Modern. (Now I'm back at the bagel cafe.) Thought I'd mix up old and new. I loved the Gallery, they had some really great stuff in there. I'm a huge Michelangelo fan and they had a couple of those so I was happy. Tate Modern, on the other hand, didn't agree with me at all. I forgot how much I hate modern art. I really tried to enjoy it, and spent over two hours there, going through every single room. Of course, I couldn't have cheated it I wanted to, since what I actually wanted to see (the Dalis and the Lichtensteins) are jumbled up in a big mess with everything else. It's not divided by artist but by theme, and the themes are pretty arbitrary. And after all that they only had one or two of each of those artists! That I could find anyway. They had a ton of Picassos, which was neat, but I stare and stare at his work and just end up more confused than went I first walked up. The Warhols were cool too, but I think honestly I saw a much bigger and better collection at the Corcoran Gallery in DC a few years ago. Oh well, it was a good weekend either way.

I also found something to do in this town on Sundays! The London Chamber Music Society hosts concerts every Sunday night in Conway Hall and let's students in free. I'm not going tonight but I went last weekend to see piano and violin soloists. It was pretty good. I recommend it. Also this week I found pretty cheap concerts at St. Martins-in-the-field. This Thursday is Mozart's Requiem (I think.) So I'll be heading over to that Thursday night I think.

I think you can live cheaply in London if you really really try. It really hasn't been that bad so far.....

Cool chick

Torrid Travels

In deep freeze

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates







Locations of visitors to this page