« Home | Static Cling » | Worried » | Merry Christmas » | It's No Rainforest But.... » | Vampire-esque » | Back Home » | Dinners Galore » | Crispy Bacon » | Great..... » | I'm Officially In This » 

Tuesday, January 04, 2005 

Multiple Destinations

Maybe I'm wrong about the dryer sheets....

I'm leaving for the airport in a little over an hour. Back to London I go. I feel culture shocked all over the place; the states were weird, and now I know when I go back London will be weird too. I'm also having deja vu, saying goodbye to people all over again. My brain seems to think my first couple days in London will be just like the first time yet again: wandering around in the wrong neighborhood, completely alone and lonely. But that doesn't make sense, as I have friends there now....

The exciting part is that I've been planning two really cool trips the past couple of days! The second one is to Scotland with my folks and sister, to see the British Open among other things.

The first I need your help with. My friend, Heather, and her mom and I are having a weekend in Paris, the first weekend in February. Does anyone know a place to stay, or which part of town we should stay in?? I have no idea...

check out laundromatt.blogspot.com

Paris is organized into a series of neighborhoods, or 'Arrondissements'. I like the Montmartre area a lot, which is the 18th, and in the north-central section of Paris. It's the hilly area near le Sacre Coeur (simply amazing to sit there at night and look over Paris). If you fly into DeGaulle, it's quite easy to take the RER to Gare de Nord and then the Metro over to Montmartre (probably the Anvers Metro Stop). Hemingway and Francis Scott Key among other American Ex-pats in the 20s called this area home...

You might also like le Quartier Latin (old student area near the Sorbonne), which is in the 5th Arrondissement, just south of the Seine along Boulevard St. Germain. There are many cafes and shops in this area. Many people love this area.

You will be able to tell where things are located by the address, usually designated with what looks like a zip code in the form of 750xx, where the xx designates which Arrondissement the hotel is located. The arrondissements start in the center and then spiral out from the center in the clockwise fashion.

Here is a good map to give you an idea of where things are generally located.

Paris Arrondissement Map]

Paris is easily accessible my metro, so either place will allow you to tour about.



Paris Metro Map]

It is one of my favorite cities, and despite what people say, I think the French are wonderful people. A simple bonjour coupled with a smile will get you far.

Have a great time!


Chris

I heard Froggy's is a good place to eat in Paris.

Post a Comment

Cool chick

Torrid Travels

In deep freeze

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates







Locations of visitors to this page