« Home | Ensconcing » | Derange » | Ingress » | Egress » | Vacillating » | Euthermic » | Redivivus » | Prosaic » | Ostend » | Humbled » 

Sunday, June 07, 2009 

Entrenched

I'm quite honestly suffering from a lack of anything better to do than update this blog. And I probably wouldn't if I weren't still getting all these lovely emails asking for said updates. My reasons for not writing are twofold, with one being that I'm still (nearly a year later) so incredibly depressed about leaving London that I try to avoid thinking about it as much as possible, and two being that my life trapped in suburban America is so uneventful there really isn't much worth blogging about.

And I'm not sure you'd be too interested in my life, such as it is. Everything seems to have fallen apart quite quickly. The job that I left England for was shortly made redundant only six months after I started, and naturally I was so new there I didn't get any sort of severance. This then throws me into a great deal of financial stress as I have a car loan (can't go anywhere in America without a car) and my massive student loan (for a PhD that I STILL don't have). Despite not actually having a PhD, I only seem to get interviews for jobs which I'm told I'm too qualified to have (I wonder why they call? Do they expect me to interview dumber than I appear or that I've lied on my CV?) so this means that I've gone into serious debt to price myself out of the market. And with Obama's bulleye honing in towards healthcare reform, it might not ever get any better. As an added bonus, my fiance and I have decided not to get married. This isn't terrible news (we're still together), but suddenly not having to plan a wedding at the exact time as not having either a vocation or a degree program (or both) suddenly leaves me with more hours to fill than I know what to do with and it all starts to spiral.....

But despite the above, I'm not here to bitch. I've actually just booked a trip to return briefly to Europe for a few days!!! I'm off to finally defend my thesis! I'm looking forward to this more than you can imagine and so I thought it just had to be documented. I might just throw in a little San Francisco flavor along the way....

The country falling into a recession, the strengthening of political parties borne out of facist ideologies, the BBC constantly under siege, the death of Jade Goody. It's not exactly been plane sailing around here either.

Great to see you back!!

I loved following your blog - I suppose I thought you might write about things you found surprising on your return to America with more English eyes. But I can understand you not wanting to write if you are going through the things you describe. Things always work out in the end - and they are often opportunities...

Hi, I'm the girl (woman, I guess) that sort of traded you places from outside SF to London. I've been here for a year and a half and can't find work either. Had we known that the world was going to turn completely upside down, would we have still made these choices?? Good luck with finding a job!

I'm right there with you! Just shot you an e-mail. I recently finished up my six month work visa in London, and dream of going back constantly. I miss it so much. I live in Maryland and am absolutely miserable with the lack of crap to do compared to London - mainly because we have to drive on crap roads and pay parking to go ANYWHERE EXCITING. Take me back to the Big Smoke, please!

Hello Monica
I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your blog so much.
Why don't you move to NY or San Francisco? Suburbs are hellish anywhere you go. Sure it isn't that easy, but if you're still missing London a year later something isn't right girl.
I spent four years living on a godforsaken little island in the middle of the Atlantic, and only came back to London a couple of years ago. Sometimes it's like those four years never happened..can barely remember them. But I've done so much and had so many great experiences since I made it back to this dirty old town. Good luck with whatever you decide. PS - I used to read your blog when I was living on the godforsaken little island. Really made me miss home, but in a nostalgic good way.

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monica
and anyone else missing London
(and anyone in London without access to a helicopter – you know who you are...)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/01/more_of_london_from_above_at_n.html

Here are some photos to reconnect you with the beauty, diversity and dynamism of the city. I hope you enjoy pinpointing the areas you are familiar with. I certainly don't want these images to compound your frustration – whenever the time is right for you and your loved ones, this dense, 2000-year-old palimpsest of a place will still be here to welcome you back.

hey monica, i just came across your blog because i'm trying to find out as much about london as i can. two years ago i got a visa, dropped out of college and moved to dublin--and it was the most amazing experience of it life. i think of it--painfully--every day. i'm in my final year of college now, (back in the states) and the first thing i'm doing after graduating is to move to london. (can't repeat dublin, just wouldn't be the same... but i'm fascinated with london and i think i would love it.) i've got EU citizenship (for which i'm extremely grateful!) so visas are no longer a problem. if you see this, i would appreciate (infinitely) any advice you have on moving to london. i'm probably familiar with a lot of the basics from my time in ireland, but london-specifics (like where to live, for ex. since it's so huge) would be fantastic. lastly, even if you don't post such a guide, i want to say i understand about missing it. i miss streets and storefronts just as much as all the incredible people i knew; i miss buses and dunnes stores, the lingo and the view from my window--i miss pubs and strangers and baguettes from spar. it's so hard to adapt back... i'm in the south now, and the aesthetic here is so depressing! it's ludicrous that immigration laws are so tough. i can't even tell you how grateful i am for my eu passport. i don't know how you're adapting, but it sounds like you're going through a lot of what i went through, and still go through (although i was abroad for a much shorter time than you). i would honestly love to talk to you--to get some london pointers, of course, but also in the event that you just want to talk about missing it to someone who's gone through an similar experience. i'm not totally comfortable posting my email though, but i'll check back at your blog periodically in case you see this. i hope you don't think this is weird! i found that travell-y types are extremely open and generous, and that's all this is--a reaching out. i hope that things will get better for you.

Good post.....
Great blog.....
Every one should read this once.....
Thanks for sharing.....
___________________
Dyanadevis
Online Marketing of your brand

I really apreciate yourposting it's realy informated for me hope you always update more often and share to us what you know. Thanks

house share

so what happens next?....

Thanks for the update, this blog post was very entertaining to read.

moving company

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Post a Comment

Cool chick

Torrid Travels

In deep freeze

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates







Locations of visitors to this page