« Home | Egress » | Vacillating » | Euthermic » | Redivivus » | Prosaic » | Ostend » | Humbled » | Recrudesce » | Lionizing » | Hungerford Bridge » 

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 

Ingress

After a long night and stressful morning, I'm tucked safely in the back of a mini-cab, quite determined to leave London in a far more enjoyable manner than how I arrived (struggling whilst jet-lagged with four large bags on the tube). Of course, life is never that simple. First, emotions get the better of me, as I spend the entire trip on the phone calling various mates, with nearly each conversation ending with me saying, "Aw, shit, if we go on like this I'm going to start crying, so: best of luck, stay in touch, welcome to Cali any time, love ya, bye," followed by an abrupt hang up. I really couldn't stand any more drawn out agony at this stage... To counteract all this pathos with some amusement, the universe fated me a wholly incompetent cabbie, who took three approaches to get me into Terminal Five. I was laughing by the end of it, particularly when he ended up in the short term parking lot instead, and asked me for change to help in paying to exit and try again.

The airport wasn't any better: more painful phone calls, drama checking in ("You can check in on-line 24 h in advance in the future to avoid this, we overbook all our flights." "Yea, I've been a wee bit busy what with moving out of the country and all. Are you telling me 800 quid doesn't guarantee me a seat on this damn flight?!" etc.)

Fourteen hours later, my feet are up on his dashboard, I'm holding a bouquet of flowers, and I realize how bright it is here as I'm squinting despite sunglasses. I am still more sad than excited but the anxiousness is starting to melt away, and I'm feeling much better.

Welcome Home, Sis!

To an American leaving London: Thank you for your blog over the past 4 years. I lived in London for 5+ years ('98-'03) and have missed it dreadfully ever since. I've often been struck by the numerous parallels that we share: I, too, work in the pharmaceutical industry; I repatriated back to the US, eventually landing in southern California and domesticality; moved for marriage and now, a wonderful 2-year old daughter. Best wishes in your new stage of life. "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford" - Samuel Johnson.
PS - I posted a comment to a very early entry. I'm the one who recommended Pacifico in Covent Garden as the only decent place for Mexican food.
Cheers,
Henry L.

How are you doing now? We're all anxiously awaiting to hear how your repatriation is going!

Hello,

I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your blog over the years.

I'm a Brit who works in London, although we moved out of town a while ago now. Still, it's definitely in my blood, and I really love the way you've described our crazy, noisy, smelly, enthralling city.

You write beautifully. Do keep posting so we find out how everything turns out!

x

Why do I always find really great, funny, well written blogs when they are DONE?????? Why? Do you know when I found your blog? TODAY!!! I'm not kidding. I've read every single entry in one day and it's over. Sigh.

Best of luck in SFO and congrats on your engagement. And thanks for making me think that moving to London is going to be the best thing for me.

Good post.....
Great blog.....
Every one should read this once.....
Thanks for sharing.....
___________________
Dyanadevis
Online Marketing of your brand

Post a Comment

Cool chick

Torrid Travels

In deep freeze

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates







Locations of visitors to this page