« Home | Molecular Sadness » | Bad Luck » | Somewhat Enlightening » | Lesson of the Week #2 » | My babies » | I'm freezing » | Rainbow in a Bottle » | Pass Out and Half Pint » | If- » | British Rap » 

Tuesday, August 03, 2004 

No more American Cheese?

Have just discovered they have Kraft in England. How delightful. That will seem most familiar when I am there for sure. But I wonder if they have American Cheese? Maybe they do but they call it something else. I mean, we call it "cheese" but it's actually not, it's a cheese-food substance of some sort. But it is the only "cheese" with which one can properly make grilled cheese sandwiches. At least as far as my personal experience goes... all other cheeses fail in this regard.

This reminds me of when I was in the Shire cafeteria one morning and Jeremy was toasting an English muffin and Tim B said, "of course over there they just call them muffins," and we all dissolved in a fit of giggles. But I do wonder what they call them. We call them English muffins to differentiate them from regular muffins (American muffins?) but they must label them as well. I am most curious! Alright enough of this, back to reading KCL drug delivery papers.

Maybe they just call them Kraft Slices? Just a thought.

- SourKraut

"Processed cheese," "cheese slices," or "the stuff McDonald's uses" would work ... but, truly, I would recommend trying some REAL cheese while you are over here. It's one of the few foods that is still produced differently in different parts of the country and, unlike cheese slices, it actually TASTES ...

We have muffins and American muffins ... it's really quite simple. The real thing to practice is calling your "pants" "trousers" or you WILL get some odd looks.

Will be interested to see how long you maintain your self-proclaimed outsider status once you arrive in London ("they" do this and "they" do that). As an International city, London's not really representative of the UK, or even England. You can find American foodstuffs pretty easily (although you may have to pay a premium for them). Hell, they even sell SCOTTISH food here, and we Jocks are a much smaller minority group than you Yanks are! ; )

Looked in on your blog after you commented on mine. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Muffin? Muffin? What the bloody hell's a muffin? Nobody I know eats muffins. Crumpets yes. Muffins no.

American-style muffins are big fluffy cakes that seem to spill over cup-cake / fairy-cake cases. English-style muffins look like very flat bread rolls, and are usually served cut in half with a filling (often savoury). Crumpets are even flatter, with a dimpled surface and are more often eaten with butter or jam. Crimpets are a bigger, flatter, sweeter version of the same that I have only seen in Scotland and the North of England, and are eaten hot or cold, again with butter or jam.


Post a Comment

Cool chick

Torrid Travels

In deep freeze

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Locations of visitors to this page